DirectX is a free API (application programming interface) collection developed by Microsoft. Designed to enable the highest quality for multimedia content using Windows systems, it is targeted for games use. Testing has shown that the latest version,DirectX 11 sharply increases graphics performance, reproducing high-quality graphics on Windows-based computers.
In order to take advantage of the new updated multi-thread processors and powerful graphic cards, there are new features included in this software. DirectX utilizes advanced graphical techniques such as bump-mapping and tessellation, which take models made with triangles and divide them into small parts. This way, 3D models are made more complex, assisted by the processor, without wasting resources in the process. This tessellation technique can be applied to all elements within a graphic environment, thus realizing the claims of the main graphic card manufacturers.
DirectX includes advanced graphical techniques such as tessellation and bump-mapping
Thanks to the new multi-threaded CPU, the multiple instructions of APIs are optimized for running many processes simultaneously without a bottleneck, though this depends on your hardware´s capacity. DirectX 11 has the high quality jump that DirectX 9 and 10 could not achieve due to hardware and operating system limitations. According to the latest tests, hardware usage has been optimized, with performance increased by 20% .
Several APIs in one package
Besides adding new graphical effects such as bump and displacement mapping, DirectX includes many APIs such as DirectSound, DirectDraw or Direct3D in different editions. Each component fulfills a different function in order to bring a complete multimedia experience to Windows environments and even multi-player features through an Internet connection. For example, DirectSound is one of the main components of DirectX that uses your hardware in order to offer advanced audio and video quality.
Some characteristics from previous editions have been removed or incorporated in to one element. For this reason, the update to the last version of DirectX is highly recommendable. The updated tools provide a proper hardware acceleration for low-end compatible graphic cards that enhance the operations with multimedia editors and players. This feature is enabled by the creation of DirectCompute, which enhances GPU processes.
DirectX 11.0 Features
Check out the main features of DirectX before downloading:
- DirectCompute takes advantage of the low-end graphic processors, offering better results than similar software
- Enhanced functionalities with multi-threaded processors allow developers to increase the performance of games and visual applications
- New advanced graphic techniques like tessellation help producers save resources, driving operations to the computer’s multi-core CPU and enabling improved rendering
- Especially designed for supporting advanced video and audio applications, with high quality results
- Includes many different APIs like DirectX Media which accelerates content from web browsers or video player applications
For more information about DirectX before downloading, feel free to check the developer’s website. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/directx-11
These are the minimum system requirements for downloading this essential component to your computer:
- Operating System: Windows 7 for recent versions or later
- Processor: 1GHz CPU or faster
- Memory: 1GB RAM for 32-bit version or 2GB for 64-bit
- HDD: 1 MB free space
- GPU compatible